Having trouble deciding between Granite and Quartz for your counter tops? Since this surface area ends up influencing many kitchen palettes, it’s important to choose something that looks good to you, will hold up under your daily activities and has a price tag that suits your budget. Is there a clear-cut choice between Quartz and Granite?
Both counter top materials are made of natural product, but one comes out slightly ahead:
Quartz is 97% natural, however engineered. Prominent Quartz counter top maker Caesarstone notes that 93% natural Quartz aggregates are mixed with the remaining 7% of colour pigments and polymer resins.
Granite is 100% natural. Slab Granite counters are literally sliced from quarries, cut to size, and smoothed.
Quartz offers consistent, minimalistic and monochromatic colouring. Because of their colours and lack of natural movement, these slabs are perfect for modern and ultra-modern looks. Each slab colour and design always looks the same from slab to slab. However, with the growing popularity of natural stones, some Quartz slabs are now mimic natural stone patterns. You can expect to see the joints with a Quartz counter but they will be less visible if you choose a slab that’s darker in colour.
There is a limitless selection of colours to choose from and each Granite counter tops has a one-of-a-kind patterns and textures that you won’t see anywhere else. From the hue to the veins, swirls spots, and speckles. It’s almost impossible to find a clean, simple style without much patterning; this can be a problem if you don’t want busy a counter top. It’s also difficult to hide the joints in a Granite counter once it has been installed.
An engineered product like Quartz can better handle long-term exposure to moisture, and most spills won’t require immediate attention. Clean any spills with soap and water or a mild household cleaner such as Chemico. Since Quartz is as solid surface, there is no need to have your counter tops resealed.
Granite isn’t necessarily a high-maintenance material — it just requires more care than Quartz does. Like other natural stones, Granite isn’t naturally resistant to moisture. To ensure the longevity of these counter tops, it’s best to reseal your Granite every two to five years. It’s also best not to let spills and water rings sit too long since they can cause stains.
Quartz is actually harder and more durable than Granite. And with its added benefit of being more flexible. Because it is non-porous and does not require any sealing, like Granite, it’s easy to keep your counter tops relatively bacteria-free. Although, one must be careful with placing hot pots and pans directly on these counter tops; it can be damaged by excessive heat over time. Depending on the type of Quartz you choose, one disadvantage (with some of the brands) is that discolouration can take place over time when exposed to direct sunlight.
Granite is a durable material that’s resistant to heat. However, due to its porous nature, it can only be considered “stain-resistant” if it has been properly sealed. Because it is a natural material, it can break or chip if subjected to heavy abuse. For regular day-to-day activities; and proper maintenance, it can last a lifetime.
Quartz used to be more expensive than Granite, things have changed fairly recently. With advances in technology and production methods, both Quartz and Granite are now closely priced.
It’s just human nature and you’ll have to decide for yourself which one you prefer the best. Some people like the look of Granite more than Quartz because it has a natural earthy aspect to it. Others prefer the sleek uniform look of Quartz. They both make lovely counter tops and there is going to be one that grabs your fancy more than the other – however you can never go wrong by choosing either one!
300-101 400-101 300-320 300-070 300-206 200-310 300-135 300-208 810-403 400-050 640-916 642-997 300-209 400-201 200-355 352-001 642-999 350-080 MB2-712 400-051 C2150-606 1Z0-434 1Z0-146 C2090-919 C9560-655 642-64 100-101 CQE CSSLP 200-125 210-060 210-065 210-260 220-801 220-802 220-901 220-902 2V0-620 2V0-621 2V0-621D 300-075 300-115 AWS-SYSOPS 640-692 640-911 1Z0-144 1z0-434 1Z0-803 1Z0-804 000-089 000-105 70-246 70-270 70-346 70-347 70-410